The Latin Americanization of U.S. Police Forces
by COSME CAAL
From Guatemala City I have been keeping up with the events in Ferguson, Missouri and my heart goes out to those United States citizens who are actively resisting a brutal local police state. I sit awake at night and contemplate how one of the greatest nations in the world has become militarized and despotic. Impunity is now normalized in most police departments across the United States and in the minds of many Americans. I did not know I would live to see this phenomenon, yet, the more I peruse online news feeds, the more evident it is to me that Americans, especially minorities, are in great danger of militarized suppression as a matter of state policy.
From our experience in half a century in Latin America I can tell you that, once the human rights of a minority are compromised, it is only a matter of time before they are compromised for an entire nation. From that same experience I can tell you it will take decades before they can be regained. Militarized police forces take on a life of their down, at the expense of the society’s well-being. The social contract that gives the state the duty to organize police forces itself becomes obsolete, almost a joke. Citizens begin to obey agents of the state not out of respect or cooperation, but out of fear of those sworn to protect them. Eventually, the militarized power of the police reaches such magnitude that political leaders lose all ability to rein them in. We experienced this USA-backed militarized transformation of the police in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Chile, and Colombia. What the U.S. helped do to Latin America, it is now doing to itself.
Propaganda and the lack thereof
With regard to the goings-on in Ukraine, I have heard quite a few European and American voices piping in, saying that, yes, Washington and Kiev are fabricating an entirely fictional version of events for propaganda purposes, but then so are the Russians. They appear to assume that if their corporate media is infested with mendacious, incompetent buffoons who are only too happy to repeat the party line, then the Russians must be same or worse.
The reality is quite different. While there is a virtual news blackout with regard to Ukraine in the West, with little being shown beyond pictures of talking heads in Washington and Kiev, the media coverage in Russia is relentless, with daily bulletins describing troop movements, up-to-date maps of the conflict zones, and lots of eye-witness testimony, commentary and analysis. There is also a lively rumor mill on Russian and international social networks, which I tend to disregard because it’s mostly just that: rumor. In this environment, those who would attempt to fabricate a fictional narrative, as the officials in Washington and Kiev attempt to do, do not survive very long.
There is a great deal to say on the subject, but here I want to limit myself to rectifying some really, really basic misconceptions that Washington has attempted to impose on you via its various corporate media mouthpieces.
EX-CIA OFFICIAL PROPOSES ASSASSINATION OF PUTIN
Former intelligence official wants sanctions against Russia to lead to the removal of Putin, “with a bullet hole in the back of his head” if necessary
by KIT DANIELS
In a recent op-ed, a former CIA official suggested the removal of Russian President Vladimir Putin, by assassination if necessary, should be the primary objective of the Obama administration in its strategy for Ukraine.
Herbert E. Meyer, who served as a Special Assistant to the Director of Central Intelligence under the Reagan administration, said the goal of U.S. sanctions against Russia “should be to get the Russians who’ve been keeping Putin in power, or tolerating Putin in power, to throw that knockout punch.”
“If Putin is too stubborn to acknowledge that his career is over, and the only way to get him out of the Kremlin is feet-first, with a bullet hole in the back of his head — that would also be okay with us,” he stated.
To ensure Putin’s removal, Meyer suggested, the Obama administration should strike a wedge between the Russian business elite and the Kremlin that could serve as a catalyst for an attempt on Putin’s life.
Ukraine civil war
By Par Jacques Sapir
Kindly translated by Anne-Marie de Grazia.
The military situation in Eastern Ukraine is presently evolving in favour of the insurgents. Before having a look at a description of the operations, we must make a number of remarks.
- (1) In the TV news-journal of Saturday, August 23, the reporting by France-2 journalists has been exceptionally candid. The bombardments by the forces loyal to the Kiev government, their random character (a hospital and a school were hit) and their dramatic consequences have been shown. This may signal a turn in the media coverage of this civil war.
- (2) Which brings us to examine the words which are used in order to describe the situation. The Kiev government uses the words “anti-terrorist operation”, which is a shameful masquerade. Whether one approves the insurgents or not, they ARE NOT terrorists, or then they are terrorists to the extent that the French resistance fighters were, who were also labelled “terrorists” by the Vichy government and the Germans. The abusive use of the word “terrorist” conceals the truth. In reality, it is the Kiev government which is attempting to terrorise the civilian population of Donetsk and Lugansk through random bombardments of non-military targets. The difference in treatment between Syria and Ukraine is striking. All things being equal, the Kiev government is making use of the same means which were held against Bachar el-Assad some time ago. The insurgents may be qualified as members of an independence movement, (which they have in their majority become), even as separatists. The epithet of “pro-Russian” which is being used, particularly by France-2, is stupid. The leaders of the insurgent movement have never asked to be joined to Russia. For the time being, they are demanding that their autonomy be recognized. Let’s also remember that, unlike in Crimea, the Russian government has never recognized the validity of the referenda for independence which were held in Eastern Ukraine.
Cornel West: “He posed as a progressive and turned out to be counterfeit. We ended up with a Wall Street presidency, a drone presidency”
Exclusive: Cornel West talks Ferguson, Hillary, MSNBC — and unloads on the failed promise of Barack Obama
By Thomas Frank
Cornel West is a professor at Union Theological Seminary and one of my favorite public intellectuals, a man who deals in penetrating analyses of current events, expressed in a pithy and highly quotable way.
I first met him nearly six years ago, while the financial crisis and the presidential election were both under way, and I was much impressed by what he had to say. I got back in touch with him last week, to see how he assesses the nation’s progress since then.
The conversation ranged from Washington, D.C., to Ferguson, Missouri, and although the picture of the nation was sometimes bleak, our talk ended on a surprising note.
Ukrainian President Dissolves Parliament
By JIM HEINTZ Associated Press
Ukraine’s president on Monday dissolved parliament and called for early elections in October as his country continues to battle a pro-Russian insurgency in its eastern regions.
President Petro Poroshenko announced in a statement posted on his website that he has dissolved parliament and called for snap elections on October 26.
He said the move was in line with the Ukrainian constitution, noting that the ruling coalition collapsed several weeks ago.
Many members of parliament “are allies of the militants-separatists,” Poroshenko said, referring to the pro-Russian rebels who have battled government troops in the country’s east since April.
The largest party in parliament remains the Party of Regions, which is backed by much of the country’s industrial, Russian-speaking east and was supported by pro-Russian ex-president Viktor Yanukovych, who was ousted in February. Read more »
The Gates Foundation Education Reform Hype Machine and Bizarre Inequality Theory
By Adam Bessie and Dan Carino
‘Police gunman told me to ignore paedophiles’, says ex-child protection officer
A FORMER child protection officer claimed last night a Special Branch detective held a gun to his head to stop him investigating a VIP paedophile ring.
by James Fielding
Chris Fay said he was pinned to a wall and throttled before being given a chilling warning to “back away” from allegations surrounding the notorious Elm Guest House in Barnes, south-west London.
Young boys in care were allegedly taken there in the Eighties to be abused by high-profile MPs and other powerful establishment figures.
Mr Fay, who worked for the now-defunct National Association of Young People In Care, accused the Metropolitan Police of acting like “gangsters” when news of the scandal broke in 1990. He revealed how some Special Branch members routinely threatened him and his colleagues and even victims over a three-month period of intimidation.
From Dana Siegelman:
Right now, an innocent man sits in a federal prison, while many of the corrupt officials who put him there continue to serve in their positions.
The whole story of how former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman was railroaded into prison remains unknown to most of the public. Those of you who have been following Gov. Siegelman’s story know it involves mass corruption, trumped-up charges, and judicial misconduct resembling the despotic practices in some third world country. And yet it happened right here in America! The judicial corruption has been so egregious that some law schools now use this case as an example to teach worst practices regarding prosecutorial misconduct.
Don Siegelman’s prominent supporters include members of Congress, former States Attorneys General, and federal judges from both parties. Each of them has written to President Obama, Attorney General Holder, and the Supreme Court, urging that the conviction be overturned.
Read more »
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Guatemalan warns that the US police are now just like the (US-trained) police in Guatemala (and Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia…)
- 6 Big Lies about Ukraine and Russia
- Putin needs “a bullet in the back of the head,” says ex-CIA (sic) official
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Help tell the world about what happened to Don Siegelman!
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.