What You Need To Know About 5G Wireless And “Small” Cells
20 Facts About 5G
Download a PDF of this information on a two page EHT Factsheet on 5G and Health. The factsheet is hyperlinked (blue text) to research and sources. It is a great resource for policymakers.
Nationwide, communities are being told by wireless companies that it is necessary to build “small cell” wireless facilities in neighborhoods on streetlight and utility poles in order to offer 5G, a new technology that will connect the Internet of Things (IoT). At the local, state, and federal level, new legislation and new zoning aim to streamline the installation of these 5G “small cell” antennas in public rights-of-way.
1. 5G “small cell antennas are to be placed in neighborhoods everywhere.
- Street lights
- Utility poles
- Bus stops
- Sides of buildings
2. The radiation from small cells is not small.
Wireless antennas emit microwaves — non-ionizing radiofrequency radiation — and essentially function as cell towers. Each installation can have over a thousand antennas that are transmitting simultaneously. Examples of how small cells are not small include:
- They increase electromagnetic radiation near homes.
- They have refrigerator-sized (and larger) equipment cabinets.
- Property values drop after a cell tower is built near homes.
- Taller and wider poles are needed for the antennas.
- Fixtures weigh hundreds of pounds.
3. Millions of small cells are to be built in front yards in the name of 5G.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) estimates and is supporting that millions of these wireless transmitters will be built in our rights-of-way, directly in front of our homes.
4. 5G will add an extra layer — not replace — our current wireless technology.
5G will utilize current 3G and 4G wireless frequencies already in use and also add even more radiation. Higher frequency — submillimeter and millimeter waves — will be used in 5G in order to transmit data at superfast speeds.
5. Community authority is being overruled at every level.
Communities are being stripped of their right to make decisions about this new technology. ”Streamlining” means almost automatic approval. Public notice and public hearings are being eliminated. Even if every homeowner on the block opposes the antennas on their street, the opposition will be disregarded with new regulations moving forward at the federal and state level. .
6. Cell phone companies have confirmed that 5G “small” cell towers do not need to be placed every hundred feet (despite industry statements that densely placed small cells are needed in close vicinity to homes).
Verizon’s CEO, Lowell McAdam stated on camera that 4G and 5G antennas will work from 3,000 feet away on Macro Towers. This statement proves that Verizon DOES NOT need to place 5G small cells in residential areas every 500 to 1,000 feet.
“When [Verizon] went out in these 11 [5G test] markets, we tested for well over a year, so we could see every part of foliage and every storm that went through. We have now busted the myth that [5G frequencies] have to be line-of-sight — they do not. We busted the myth that foliage will shut [5G] down . . . that does not happen. And the 200 feet from a home? We are now designing the network for over 2,000 feet from transmitter to receiver, which has a huge impact on our capital need going forward. Those myths have disappeared.”
-Lowell McAdam, CEO of Verizon
“[Verizon 5G] is really high frequency [28,000 MHz and 39,000 MHz], so everybody thinks it doesn’t go very far, but it’s a really big pipe and so that’s what allows you to gain the super fast speeds . . We’re 3,000 feet away from our radio node. the cool thing about this is that we did not move the radio node. . . here even 3,000 feet away, we’re still getting 1,000 [Megabits per second] speeds . . . So now we’ve driven about 1/3 of a mile away [1,760 feet] from the radio node. we are still getting very good speeds even though we have foliage in between [800 Megabits per second].”
-Jason L., Verizon Field Engineer
7. Scientists worldwide are calling for a halt to the 5G Roll-out.
Scientists from all over the world have issued a declaration calling for a moratorium on the increase of 5G cell antennas citing human health effects and impacts to wildlife.
“We recommend a moratorium on the roll-out of the fifth generation, 5G, for telecommunication until potential hazards for human health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent from industry…RF-EMF has been proven to be harmful for humans and the environment.”
— The 5G Scientific Appeal (An Appeal signed by more than 250 scientists and doctors from 35 countries)
- Read the 2017 Scientific Appeal on 5G To the European Commission
- Read the EMF Scientist Appeal published in the International Journal of Oncology.
- Read Letters From Dozens of Scientists on Health Risks of 5G
8. Cumulative daily radiation exposure is associated with serious health effects.
“Eﬀects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deﬁcits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being.” – EMF Scientific Appeal
The public is unaware that peer reviewed, published science indicates that exposures to wireless radiation can increase cancer risk, alter brain development and damage sperm. This radiation is also associated with headaches, hormone changes, memory problems and sleep problems.
Most people are also unaware that wireless technology was never tested for long-term safety decades ago when the technology was first introduced. Children are more vulnerable to this radiation and that the accumulated scientific evidence shows harmful effects.
“There is a substantial body of evidence that this technology is harmful to humans and the environment. The 5G millimeter wave is known to heat the eyes, skin and testes… Of particular concern are the most vulnerable among us — the unborn, children, the infirm, the elderly and the disabled. It is also expected that populations of bees and birds will drastically decline.”
“A growing body of scientific literature documents evidence of nonthermal cellular damage from non-ionizing wireless radiation used in telecommunications. This RF EMR has been shown to cause an array of adverse effects on DNA integrity, cellular membranes, gene expression, protein synthesis, neuronal function, the blood brain barrier, melatonin production, sperm damage and immune dysfunction”. –Cindy Russell MD 2018 paper entitled “5 G wireless telecommunications expansion: Public health and environmental implications.”
9. Scientists state that wireless radiation is a human carcinogen.
Several researchers have published their opinion in multiple papers that cellular radiation- radiofrequency radiation (the type that cell towers emit) is a human carcinogen based on the current body of science. In 2018, the US National Toxicology Program study peer review scientists concluded “clear evidence of cancer” from cellular radiation exposure in the largest US animal study ever done on the issue. Examples of this published research includes:
- Miller et al., “Cancer Epidemiology Update, following the 2011 IARC Evaluation of Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields (Monograph 102)” Environmental Research
- Peleg M, Nativ O, Richter ED. Radio frequency radiation-related cancer: assessing causation in the occupational/military setting. Environmental Research Vol 163, 2018, pp 123–133.
- Hardell, L. and M. Carlberg. Using the Hill viewpoints from 1965 for evaluating strengths of evidence of the risk for brain tumors associated with use of mobile and cordless phones. Rev Environ Health 28:97-106, 2013.
- Evaluation of Mobile Phone and Cordless Phone Use and Glioma Risk Using the Bradford Hill Viewpoints from 1965 on Association or Causation. Carlberg M et al. Biomed Res Int. (2017)
10. Antennas near homes decrease property values.
Studies show property values drop up to 20% on homes near cell towers. Would you buy a home with a mini cell tower in the yard?
11. Experts state that 5G Small Cell Wireless streaming bills do not make financial sense.
The California Department of Finance rejected California’s 5G small cell wireless infrastructure bill S. 649 stating that, “Finance opposes this bill… this bill goes too far by usurping city and county zoning authority for infrastructure development, and it potentially imposes reimbursable, state-mandated costs on cities and counties.”
12. Microwave antennas in front yards present several worker and public safety issues.
Unions have already filed comments that workers were injured, unaware they were working near transmitting antennas. How will HVAC workers, window washers, and tree cutters be protected? The heavy large equipment cabinets mounted on poles along our sidewalks also present new hazards. Cars run into utility poles, often, what then? US Department of Labor letters and reports of cell tower health and safety issues.
13. Fiber is the solution and the safe alternative.
Worldwide, many regions are investing in wired fiber optic connections which are are safer, faster, more reliable, provide greater capacity, and are more cyber-secure. Read “Re-Inventing Wires: The Future of Landlines and Networks,” by the National Institute for Science, Law & Public Policy
14. Wireless Companies warn investors of risks but neglect to inform consumers and neighbors living near towers.
Crown Castle (a company building small cell infrastructure throughout the USA) has a statement in their 2016 10-K Annual Report that says: “If radio frequency emissions from wireless handsets or equipment on our wireless infrastructure are demonstrated to cause negative health effects, potential future claims could adversely affect our operations, costs or revenues… We currently do not maintain any significant insurance with respect to these matters.”
15. Antennas near our homes will affect our sleep.
Wireless radiation alters sleep patterns in replicated research in both animals and humans. For example, an animal study found an hour of exposure to RFR caused a one-hour delay for rats to drift into REM or deep sleep. Human studies have found exposure reduces REM sleep, alters the EEG signal and results in altered performance.
16. Cellular Radiation Negatively Impacts Birds and Bees
Published research finds the frequencies impact wildlife. For example studies have found that the radiation alter bird navigation and disturb honeybee colonies. Research on EMF and Bees. Research on Wildlife
17. US Cities and Entire Countries are voting to halt 5G
Petaluma and Mill Valley California have voted on policies to halt 5G. Petaluma City Council voted to prohibited small cell installation on city-owned light poles and other city-owned street furniture and established a 500-foot setback from a small cell to any residence.
- Read “California City blocks 5G deployments over cancer concerns”
- Read “Petaluma 360: Petaluma sets cell phone tower policy”
Many countries such as China, India, Poland, Russia, Italy and Switzerland have far more protective and stricter radiation limits than do we in the United States. These more protective radiation limits will not allow the full deployment of 5G because the increased 5G radiation would exceed these governments allowable levels of radiation. These countries are causing a lot of a headaches for the global telecommunications industry, which has in response launched large-scale public relations efforts to do away with these restrictions. However many countries are holding firm to their limits. For example, in 2018, the Swiss Parliament rejected (22 to 21 votes) loosening the limits for non-ionizing radiation.
18. The FCC is not monitoring radiation exposures from cell installations and many cell towers are in violation of the radiation limits.
The Wall Street Journal did an investigative report in 2014 examining over 5,000 cell antennas sites and found that 1 in 10 sites violated the rules during safety audits for carriers and local municipalities “underscoring a safety lapse,” yet the FCC has issued just two citations to cell carriers since 1996 because “the FCC says it lacks resources to monitor each antenna.” A CBS Atlanta investigation also found radiation excesses up to 400 percent of the limit close up to the antennas on rooftop posing serious health risks especially to any worker coming on the roof.
- Read “Cellphone Boom Spurs Antenna-Safety Worries: Many Sites Violate Rules Aimed at Protecting Workers From Excessive Radio-Frequency Radiation.” Wall Street Journal
- “Failure to follow cellular antenna regulations raises safety issues” CBS ATLANTA, Nov 17, 2014
19. The American Academy of Pediatrics is one of many medical organizations that is calling for federal action to protect children. For example, the American Academy of Pediatrics webpage on Cell Towers states:
“An Egyptian study confirmed concerns that living nearby mobile phone base stations increased the risk for developing:
- Memory problems
- Sleep problems”
In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), our largest organization of children’s doctors, has repeatedly written the US government that current regulations on cellular radiation are outdated and non protective for children and pregnant women.
“Children are not little adults and are disproportionately impacted by all environmental exposures, including cell phone radiation. Current FCC standards do not account for the unique vulnerability and use patterns specific to pregnant women and children. It is essential that any new standard for cell phones or other wireless devices be based on protecting the youngest and most vulnerable populations to ensure they are safeguarded throughout their lifetimes.”
20. Firefighters fought hard to oppose 5G small cells in California
In 2017, when 5G “small cells were coming to California via a 5G streamlining bill (SB649), firefighter organizations came out in strong opposition to the bill and cited the many peer-reviewed studies. They requested that 5G towers not be installed on firehouses. They were successful and SB649 was amended to exempt their stations from the deployment due to their health concerns.
KEY RESEARCH AND REPORTS
5G Frequencies Are Absorbed Into the Skin
Physicists found that the higher millimeter frequencies intended for 5G use are preferentially absorbed into the sweat duct at much higher rates than other organ tissues. Read two published studies “The Modeling of the Absorbance of the Sub-THz Radiation by Human Skin.” The human skin as a sub-THz receiver – Does 5G pose a danger to it or not? Paul Ben-Ishai, PhD Lecture.
5G Frequencies Are Used As Weapons
Millimeter frequencies – used in 5G applications- have the capacity to cause a severe burning sensation in the skin and are used by the U.S. Department of Defense in crowd control guns called Active Denial Systems. The frequencies are able to cause this burning sensation due to the way the radiation frequencies are absorbed into the sweat gland.
Landmark US National Toxicology Program (NTP) Study Finds “Clear Evidence of Cancer” and DNA Damage
The NTP studies found male rats exposed for two years to cell phone radiation developed significantly increased gliomas (brain cancer) and schwann cell tumors, the very same types of tumors increased in long-term human cell phone users. NIH/ NTP presentation on DNA results states “exposure to RFR has the potential to induce measurable DNA damage under certain exposure conditions.” Press Coverage, on Peer Review Report
Cell Tower Radiation is Linked To Damage in Human Blood
A published study compared people living close and far from cell antennas and found people living closer to cellular antennas had changes in blood that predicts cancer development. Read Zothansiama et al, 2017. Read a Compilation of Research on Cell Tower Radiation
Contact local, state and federal elected officials in person.
Share this information with your friends, family and community.
Ask for government policy that reduces RFR exposure to the public.
Citizens in all states must organize and take action to halt legislation that increases cell antennas in neighborhoods.
This EHT fact sheet has links to to scientific resources and key facts from this page. Please download it and send it to your elected officials and community.
RESOURCES ON US POLICY
Link to Federal Legislation You Can Take Action On
Link to US States With Streamlining Bills You Can Take Action On
CRITICAL LINKS TO INFORMATION ON 5G
Whatis5g.info on the human and environmental impact of 5G
My Street My Choice: Critical information and links to help residents fight 5G Small Cells.
KEY RESEARCH AND REPORTS
- Link to 5G Frequencies Are Absorbed Into the Skin
- Link to review study that states radiofrequency is a human carcinogen.
- Link to 5G Frequencies Are Used As Weapons
- Link to Landmark US National Toxicology Program (NTP) Study Finds “Clear Evidence of Cancer” and DNA Damage
- Link to Cell Tower Radiation is Linked To Damage in Human Blood
- Link to Published Scientific Review on 5G Finds Adverse Effects
- Link to Cellular Radiation Negatively Impacts Birds
- Link to Cellular Radiation Negatively Impacts Bees
- Link to Overview of Cell Tower Health Effects
- Link to Research on Cell Towers and Health Effects
- Link to Bees, Butterflies and Wildlife
- Link to Impact of Cell Towers on Property Values
- Link to American Academy of Pediatrics on Cell Towers
- Link to Letters from Doctors on Small Cell 5G in Neighborhoods
- Link to Firefighters Oppose Cell Towers on Fire Stations
- Link to Insurance White Papers on Impact of Wireless on Health
- Link to Cell Towers at Schools
- Link to Cell Tower Companies Warn Shareholders of Risk but not People Living Near Their Towers or Using Their Products
- Link to Insurance Company Exclude Electromagnetic Fields as a Standard
- Link to Study Found Damage in Human Blood
- Link to FCC Limits are Non Protective
- Link to 5G Technology
- Link to Cell Tower Worker Safety Issues
- Link to Research on 5G and Cell Tower Radiation
- Link to A 5G Wireless Future: Will it give us a smart nation or contribute to an unhealthy one?” Santa Clara Medical Association Bulletin, Cindy Russell MD, 2017
- Link to Letters by Scientists in Opposition To 5G Research on Cell Tower Radiation, 2017
- Link to Biological Effects from Exposure to Electromagnetic Radiation Emitted by Cell Tower Base Stations and Other Antenna Arrays, Levitt and Lai, 2010
- Link to Radiofrequency radiation injures trees around mobile phone base stations, Waldmann-Selsam et al., 2016
- Link to Department of Interior Letter on the Impact of Cell Towers on Migratory Birds, Willie R. Taylor Director, Office of Environmental Policy and Compliance, 2014
- Link to Anthropogenic radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as an emerging threat to wildlife orientation, Balmori, 2015
- Link to Briefing Memorandum On The Impacts from Thermal and Non-thermal Non-ionizing Radiation to Birds and Other Wildlife, Manville, 2016
- Link to Database of Worldwide International Policy To Reduce EMF
- Link to Youtube Scientific Videos on 5G
BioInitiative 2012: A Comprehensive Report by Independent Scientists on the Science of Electromagnetic Radiation
The Baby Safe Project: EPA Recognized Awareness Program on Pregnancy and Wireless