Those crowing over Flynn’s ouster (or most of them) don’t understand that it went down because the Powers That Be (or some of them) want war with Russia, not Iran (at least not yet).
So did Obama also violate the Logan Act, when, as a presidential candidate, he sent retired ambassador William Miller to Iran, to let the mullahs know that, if elected, he would deal fairly with them? And, if he did (to quote the Logan Act) thus “indirectly commence … intercourse with [that] foreign government,” should he have quit the race, or, later, been impeached?
It’s a fair question (even though Frank Gaffney, Jr. raises it). The issue, then, is this: Are such sins not so bad when OUR Dear Leader’s team commits them?
Did Barack Obama Violate the Logan Act?
By Frank Gaffney, Jr.
President Trump’s National Security Advisor, Mike Flynn is an extraordinary public servant. He’s now a prime target for his boss’ enemies.
They want him fired for allegedly discussing the Russian ambassador pre-inauguration impending policy shifts. U.S. intelligence sources, Democratic lawmakers and pundits are claiming that, in so doing, Mike Flynn violated the old Logan Act.
Interestingly, three years ago, Michael Ledeen – the coauthor of General Flynn’s best-selling book, Field of Fight – revealed that, before the 2008 election, then-Candidate Barack Obama sent retired Amb. William Miller to Iran “to assure the mullahs that he was a friend of the Islamic Republic, and that they would be very happy with his policies.”
The Logan Act barring freelance diplomacy is sensible, even if never unenforced. It didn’t keep Barack Obama from gaining office, and it shouldn’t be allowed to drive Mike Flynn from his.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.