“As Japan Ages, Menus Adapt to Finding the Gourmet in Purees”
Yes, that’s right: Japan’s old folks—a bulging demographic—are eating lots of pureed food, because, being old folks, they have trouble chewing.
THAT news is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times, which gives it front-page treatment. As for the worsening catastrophe in Fukushima, you can search every page of that newspaper, and you won’t find one word about it, not today or nearly any other day.
So let’s all think about those oldsters in Japan, scarfing down their yummy pureed beef, seafood and vegetables, and ask ourselves—or, better yet, the Times—what makes that story more important than the radiation poisoning of the Pacific Ocean, and, because of it, the foods that more and more of us can’t eat at all, pureed or not.
As Japan Ages, Menus Adapt to Finding the Gourmet in Purées
By Motoko Rich
YOKOHAMA, Japan — The 94-year-old man had come for lunch at a Chinese restaurant, and he was determined to make the most of his squid and leek stir-fry.
Eigo Shinoda, a former shipbuilding executive and fighter pilot in World War II, spends his days in a wheelchair and has trouble eating solid food. But that was no impediment as he dug into his meal with a plastic turquoise spoon recently.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.