They make it hard to tell the truth, which drives them into crackpot fits of “patriotic” rage, screaming that those truths are lies, “fake news,” you’re just like Trump, delusional, a Russian stooge, etc.
What they shout back at you with such ferocious confidence (thank God they don’t believe in guns) is just as groundless—some dare call it psychotic—as the Red-centric fantasies of Robert Welch and other pamphleteers of the post-war far-right; and yet, of course, these liberal Democrats absorb their information from the New York Times, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, Mother Jones, Atlantic and/or Daily Beast—in short, the CIA, which these Bizarro liberals actually believe is a defender of democracy and citadel of truth.
Try telling any of these trash-recycling wing-nuts that Russia mounted NO “invasion of Ukraine.” When I said so recently, with studied calm, on Facebook, one “friend” wittily responded, “Da, comrade.” And when I just as calmly pointed out that Russia is no longer communist, he jeered exultantly that I was circulating “alternative facts.”
If I had that surreal experience only once or twice, and just on Facebook, I would unfriend the zealot(s), and forget about it. But since I’m having that experience nearly every day, online and off—and I am not the only one—forgetting it is as impossible as it would be unwise: an ostrich-like response to what’s most dangerous about this nightmare moment under Trump.
While everybody knows that he’s unbalanced, if not clinically unhinged, “everybody” doesn’t know that there is also something very wrong with them, since what we call “the left” in the United States today is suffering from a sort of mass psychosis, fed by our (indirectly) state-controlled “free press,” and, whether Donald Trump goes down or not, likely to bring all of us to grief—unless the rest of us can somehow intervene, and cure it.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.