Democrats See Gains as Donald Trump Targets a Wife
By AMY CHOZICK and TRIP GABRIEL
Senator Ted Cruz may have urged Donald J. Trump to leave his wife, Heidi, “the hell alone,” but there is one group that is quietly hoping Mr. Trump’s attacks on his rival’s spouse and other women will continue indefinitely: Democrats.
As Hillary Clinton turns her attention to a general election campaign, Mr. Trump’s nasty skirmish with Mr. Cruz, including his warning to “spill the beans” about Mrs. Cruz, without offering specifics, and his reposting of a message that mocked her looks, have played into a crucial Democratic strategy to defeat Mr. Trump in November: to portray him as an unabashed sexist.
Mrs. Clinton’s allies hope to sway suburban and independent women, who will play an outsize role in deciding the fall election, to support her candidacy by pushing this theme. These Democrats say the matchup would be historic: one pitting the first female nominee of a major political party against a rival who has repeatedly dismissed and disparaged women and their looks.
“I want Donald Trump to talk every single day for the rest of this election,” said Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee. “He just needs to keep spewing what he has been spewing.”
Although Mrs. Clinton will present herself as a protector of women, the political strategy is more about math than morality.
Mr. Trump has shown a particular weakness among female voters, who favored Mrs. Clinton 55 percent to 35 percent in a New York Times/CBS News poll released this week, twice the gender gap of the 2012 presidential election, when President Obama defeated Mitt Romney. And 31 percent of Republican women said they would be upset if Mr. Trump were the party’s nominee, according to the most recent CNN/ORC poll.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.