One more story of the rampant criminality that Hollywood so often prettifies in works like Homeland and Zero Dark Thirty.
Former CIA agent ordered to face jail in Italy after conviction in ‘extraordinary rendition’ case
A Portuguese court has decided to extradite an ex-CIA agent to Italy, where she has been convicted of involvement in the kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric under the U.S. “extraordinary rendition” program, legal papers showed on Friday.
Sabrina De Sousa, a joint U.S.-Portuguese citizen, was one of 26 people convicted in absentia on charges of snatching Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr from a street in Milan in 2003 and taking him to be questioned in Egypt.
The case focused attention at the time on the treatment of suspects moved around the world for interrogation in the wake of the Sep. 11 2001 attacks and strained relations between Washington and Rome.
De Sousa’s lawyer told Reuters on Friday there were no grounds for extradition and he would appeal to Portugal’s top court.
De Sousa was arrested in Portugal in October at the request of Italian prosecutors, who want her to serve a six-year sentence.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.