By Adam Johnson
Thursday afternoon, Mayor de Blasio and Brave New Film’s Robert Greenwald presented a short film, Hedge Fund Billionaires vs. Teachers, that highlights the glaring inequalities in our tax structure and the underfunding of our education system. The hook is simple: the top 25 hedge fund managers make more than all the kindergarten teachers, 150,000, in the country combined. Is this fair? And perhaps more importantly, is this a good way to run a society?
The two men, along with AlterNet contributing editor Lynn Parramore and local kindergarten teacher Lena Lombardi, joined in a Q&A after the film to discusss de Blasio’s signature themes of increased taxes on the wealthy and a focus on improving the lives of “working Americans.” (Disclosure: Robert Greenwald is on the board of directors of AlterNet’s parent organization, Independent Media Institute.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talkin' World War One Blues...
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.