Jailed Journalist Update: Media Respond Timidly; Judge Fights Civil Rights Firm; Rights Anniversaries Loom
Written by Andrew Kreig
Published on February 25, 2014
The nation’s journalists have compiled an erratic and ineffective record of supporting jailed journalist Roger Shuler, an Alabama blogger who has spent more than five months behind bars. His crime? Failing to spike his stories before a libel trial in a case largely determined via secret court proceedings.
Meanwhile, the presiding judge Claud [sic] Neilson, shown in a file photo, is also a private attorney fighting one of the Deep South’s best-known civil rights firms. According to an Associated Press story, the firm Sanders and Sanders has been devastated by the costs of a major civil rights litigation victory on behalf of black farmers hurt by many years of discrimination in federal funding programs.
Separately, a founding partner of the firm is assembling with her team next month an impressive edition of the annual civil rights reform effort in spirit of the 1965 “Bloody Sunday” march in Selma for voting rights. In the name of law and order during the segregationist era, 150 police officers used clubs, bullwhips, tear gas and horses in a surprise attack against peaceful marchers in Selma. The police brutality captured on video excerpts below shocked the nation. President Johnson and Congress approved the historic Voting Rights Act that summer.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.