Anti-terrorism has driven police abuse
February 03, 2014 12:15 AM
By Paul Detrick
The Daily Star
In October 2009, Shawn Nee, an award-winning photographer, was stopped by officers from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department while taking pictures of turnstiles in the L.A. subway. According to the officers, Nee was engaged in “suspicious terrorist activity.”
“I want to know if you are in cahoots with Al-Qaeda to sell these pictures to them for a terrorist purpose,” LASD Deputy Richard Gylfie told Nee, according to footage shot by a body camera Nee wears while working. Gylfie and his partner, Deputy Roberto Bayes, held Nee’s hands behind his back, searched his pockets and conducted a check to see if there were any outstanding warrants for his arrest. At one point the footage shows Gylfie telling Nee he would put him on “the FBI’s hit list” if he didn’t answer his questions.
“On one level, you’re thinking, is this really happening?” Nee says.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.