Anti-terrorism has driven police abuse
February 03, 2014 12:15 AM
By Paul Detrick
The Daily Star
In October 2009, Shawn Nee, an award-winning photographer, was stopped by officers from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department while taking pictures of turnstiles in the L.A. subway. According to the officers, Nee was engaged in “suspicious terrorist activity.”
“I want to know if you are in cahoots with Al-Qaeda to sell these pictures to them for a terrorist purpose,” LASD Deputy Richard Gylfie told Nee, according to footage shot by a body camera Nee wears while working. Gylfie and his partner, Deputy Roberto Bayes, held Nee’s hands behind his back, searched his pockets and conducted a check to see if there were any outstanding warrants for his arrest. At one point the footage shows Gylfie telling Nee he would put him on “the FBI’s hit list” if he didn’t answer his questions.
“On one level, you’re thinking, is this really happening?” Nee says.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.