American Idle: Why We Don’t Care About the Grammys
Posted: 01/24/2014 2:36 pm
Grammy season is here again, but never before has it fallen so hard on the heels of Martin Luther King Day. Freedom struggles have swept the world and global inequality is at its highest levels in history. But not one song from the struggles filling our newspapers, magazines and TV’s each day has made the Grammys or Billboard 100 for over a decade. This is American idle.
The Pope is calling for economic justice. Change-making is the dream of youth across the planet. Even the Oscars boast nominees The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Dirty Wars, and The Square, grappling with corruption, imperialism and revolution. But mainstream music has become no more than a soundtrack for TV ads and increasingly pornographic videos.
With the industry collapsing amidst a cocktail of monopolized radio, million dollar promotion budgets, ubiquitous mp3’s and Youtube, today’s artists orphan their songs off as product pitches, or strip down to writhe on rugs and wrecking balls, while people are losing their homes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.