American Idle: Why We Don’t Care About the Grammys
Posted: 01/24/2014 2:36 pm
Grammy season is here again, but never before has it fallen so hard on the heels of Martin Luther King Day. Freedom struggles have swept the world and global inequality is at its highest levels in history. But not one song from the struggles filling our newspapers, magazines and TV’s each day has made the Grammys or Billboard 100 for over a decade. This is American idle.
The Pope is calling for economic justice. Change-making is the dream of youth across the planet. Even the Oscars boast nominees The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Dirty Wars, and The Square, grappling with corruption, imperialism and revolution. But mainstream music has become no more than a soundtrack for TV ads and increasingly pornographic videos.
With the industry collapsing amidst a cocktail of monopolized radio, million dollar promotion budgets, ubiquitous mp3’s and Youtube, today’s artists orphan their songs off as product pitches, or strip down to writhe on rugs and wrecking balls, while people are losing their homes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.