Democrats concede to curb funds for Wall Street regulators in spending bill
• GOP drops demands for cuts to food stamp programme
• House to vote on bipartisan bill on Wednesday
Dan Roberts in Washington
theguardian.com, Tuesday 14 January 2014 09.19 EST
Republican negotiators have reined in funding for Wall Street regulators as part of agreeing a $1.1tn federal budget, but dropped demands for further reductions in federal food stamp programmes that would have hit America’s poorest families.
The measures are among thousands of spending items contained in the so-called omnibus appropriations bill published on Monday night in a bipartisan effort to avoid another government shutdown when current authorisation expires on Friday.
The House of Representatives is due to vote on the measure on Wednesday. If passed, it would be the first time since 2011 that Congress has agreed a detailed budget and builds on negotiations by senator Patty Murray and congressman Paul Ryan before Christmas to set broad tax and spending parameters.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.