A Short History of Unsavory Tech Snooping
Six egregious instances of technological trust abuse
By David Pogue
This month my Scientific American column tackled the issue of high-tech trust. Bit by bit the Apples, Googles, Microsofts and, of course, the NSAs of the world have shaken our trust. They’ve abused it, one highly publicized breach after another, and left us fearful and wary.
Here, for your sleep-losing pleasure, are some choice examples of the tech industry’s impressive history of trust violations.
April 1998: Microsoft orchestrates a phony grassroots campaign. In an effort to sway public opinion during the government’s antitrust investigation, Microsoft orchestrated a “grassroots” campaign of letters to the editor of newspapers in key states. These letters were apparently signed by “average citizens” but were actually written by staffers at Edelman, Microsoft’s public relations firm.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.