Use This Innovative Action Page Link and Stop the Trans Pacific Partnership
By Joan Brunwasser
My guest today is the PEN, progressive political activist. Welcome back to OpEdNews.
What’s on today’s agenda, PEN?
PEN: Just the most pressing policy emergency going right now. Despite the fact that 181 bipartisan members of the House have already signed official letters protesting a proposal to “fast track” a purported trade deal called the Trans Pacific Partnership, apparently remaining diehard corporate stooges in Congress are determined to rush this thing through. It’s really quite remarkable, some of those signers I am certain we agree with on absolutely no other issue.
JB: Hold on a minute. What is the Trans Pacific Partnership and why is everyone getting so energized about it? And why haven’t we heard about it if it’s as bad as you seem to be saying?
PEN: We don’t use hyperbole lightly. You are not SUPPOSED to have heard about it. It has been negotiated in such extreme secrecy, the documents around it are so classified, that Alan Grayson has complained he would have to break the law to even tell us what is in it from what he has himself seen. Journalists who have tried to attend the conclaves where this is being discussed have been systematically excluded. They tell us this is all necessary because if people knew what was in it, then people would object. Uh . . . duh!!
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.