This piece vividly describes a major crime against urbanity—a project of extraordinary ugliness, that will leave a large part of the Village looking like downtown Hong Kong, or Abu Dhabi.
And there are many other reasons to support our drive to stop the Sexton Plan. Beyond its architectural grotesqueness, the plan is an environmental nightmare, annihilating some 3 acres of green space in an area that already has the least amount of such oasis in New York City; a grave financial danger to the university itself, and to our future students, as the whole unsightly (and unnecessary) sprawl is to be funded mainly by tuition dollars—i.e., more student debt (when, as it is, NYU’s students are among the most heavily indebted in the nation); a socio-economic evil, as this development will, as ever, jack up local rents, and so finally drive out all those Villagers and small local businesses that make the Village what it is; and—not least—a civic crime, since NYU (i.e., the administration and our Wall-Street-dominated Board) has forced this plan down the collective throat of the entire community, NYU’s faculty included.
For all these reasons, please check out our auction, find something(s), and make your bid(s)!
NYU Attacks Greenwich Village With Bloated Plan: Review
By James S. Russell May 3, 2012 12:01 AM ET
Just off the narrow, crowded streets of Greenwich Village is a lush, spacious garden of drooping mature willows and sycamores.
New York University, its owner, fights for its destruction.
If the university prevails, two curvy towers shaped like chocolate drops will arise from the garden. The million square feet of new construction are the space equivalent of a hefty skyscraper.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.