Monsanto – one of the most influential corporations among members of Congress – has hired former U.S. Senator Blanche Lincoln’s lobbying firm, the Lincoln Policy Group, to do its bidding in Washington, D.C.
Cashing in on her public service by helping massive corporations like Monsanto gut food safety, public health and transparency laws is just wrong. That’s why I started my own campaign on CREDOMobilize.com, which allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to former Senator Blanche Lincoln, says the following:
Cashing in on public service by lobbying for unethical corporations is offensive to the American people. Senator Lincoln: Stop lobbying for Monsanto.
Earlier this month, Monsanto helped defeat an initiative that would have required genetically modified foods sold in my home state of Washington to be labeled. The company dumped millions of dollars into misleading TV ads to confuse Washington state residents and keep us in the dark about what we’re eating.
Lincoln’s lobbying firm has also hired her former staffer Robert Holifield — who served as her staff director on the Senate Agriculture Committee when she was the committee chair — as a partner at her lobbying firm. This shows that Lincoln is going beyond using her own connections she developed as a senator to cash in – she’s actively recruiting former congressional staff to boost her efforts to influence leaders on Capitol Hill.
Monsanto is clearly already far too influential in the halls of Congress, as evidenced by the “Monsanto Protection Act.” This legislation, which was anonymously added to a must-pass budget bill in March, allowed Monsanto to ignore food safety laws and disregard court opinions.
Lincoln has also done lobbying work for telecommunications company Nokia and major credit reporting bureau Experian — and she’s continuing to seek new clients as she grows her firm. By shining a public spotlight on Lincoln’s lobbying for Monsanto we can damage her firm’s reputation with other potential clients and send a strong message to elected officials that cashing in on public service by lobbying for unethical corporations is unacceptable.
Thank you for your support.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.