UPDATE: From a friend, “I sent money through https://www.wfp.org/donate/typhoon. They seem to be coordinating contributions. Rachel had a lengthy interview with a representative from WFP on her show.”
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Bill McKibben – 350.org
Date: Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Subject: The situation in the Philippines.
Last week, Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines — and left a path of destruction and tragedy in its wake. More than 10,000 people are feared dead.
Lines of communication are in still in chaos, but we managed to get in touch with Zeph, our amazing 350 Southeast Asia Coordinator in the Philippines. Here’s what she just emailed to our team:
“This lends urgency to our work. I think we need to be twice as strong as Typhoon Haiyan.”
If we need to be twice as strong, let’s do two things immediately:
These are our brothers and sisters in this movement. Below this email are some pictures from 350 actions across the islands over the years. This storm is a blow to a place already reeling from the effects of climate change. Metro Manila has seen repeated flooding from milder storms; there’s been a severe outbreak of dengue fever this year in the Philippines.
Among the pictures below you’ll see a group of volunteer 350 activists from Tacloban, one of the cities most ravaged by Haiyan. We don’t know the fate of all of our friends there, but we do know they need serious help now — so please do send what you can through direct relief organizations by clicking here.
Governments are meeting in Warsaw the next two weeks for the annual UN climate negotiations. This ritual has dragged on for years without conclusion, largely because the great powers have done so little. On days like these, their inaction amounts to mockery. So we’ve setup a page where you can add your name to a petition that our staff will hand-deliver to negotiators at the UN climate summit. In short, we need to let world leaders know that their inaction is wrecking the world, and the time is long past for mere talk — we need action, and we need it now.
Today at the UN climate summit, Mr. Yeb Sano, the lead negotiator of the Philippines, urged his fellow negotiators to take a bold stance. During the opening session of the summit, he committed to fast throughout the two weeks of the talks until countries make real commitments around climate finance and reducing emissions.
Sano said, “let Poland, let Warsaw, be remembered as the place where we truly cared to stop this madness. Can humanity rise to this occasion? I still believe we can.”
Bill McKibben for 350.org
More Info and Links
- “Typhoon Haiyan influenced by climate change, scientists say” – Sydney Morning Herald
- “Talks seek modest U.N. climate deal for 2015, to raise aid” – Reuters
- “Vast Challenges for Philippines After Typhoon” – The New York Times
- Typhoon Haiyan: Philippines urges action to resolve climate talks deadlock – The Guardian
Pictures of 350 Actions in The Philippines
(If you can’t see the images below, make sure to click “Turn on Images” in your email program. Here are some instructions if you’re not sure how. Or, just click here to view the images in your web browser.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.