In an obscene development, a Monsanto executive is winning this year’s “Nobel Prize of agriculture” — the prestigious World Food Prize — for creating GMOs. Receiving it legitimizes the sort of rampant genetic modification Monsanto pioneered, and helps validate a ruthless business model that impoverishes farmers and monopolizes our food.
If that wasn’t baffling enough, the founder of Syngenta, the same biotech giant joining Bayer in suing Europe to keep selling bee-killing pesticides, will also win the prize — and with it, a share of the $250,000 prize money. We cannot allow this prize to legitimize frankenfoods and bee killers. The ceremony is in less than two weeks, so we need to act now.
Tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto and bee-killer Syngenta’s outrageous practices.
4 Comments to “Monsanto exec wins this year’s “Nobel prize in agriculture””
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- After Sandy, New Jersey tried e-voting—and that was a disaster, too
- “Stop thanking us,” an Army veteran writes, “and please start thinking what these wars have done to us (and everybody else)”
- Is Kiev going to war again?
- Sunoco spills 4,000 barrels of crude near Caddo Lake, Louisiana
- Americans don’t need to know where meat comes from, says WTO
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Edward Snowden did NOT lie: Michael Green responds to Kevin Ryan
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce