Bulletin: Alabama Blogger Roger Shuler Arrested for “Contempt” of Kangaroo Court
by Peter B. Collins on October 24, 2013
Roger Shuler, the intrepid journalist who runs the Legal Schnauzer blog and a longtime contributor to this program, was arrested Wednesday evening and is jailed in Shelby County, Alabama–perhaps indefinitely. Shuler has been sued by prominent Alabama Republican Rob Riley for exposing Riley’s extramarital affair. As detailed in our recent podcast on October 8, a retired judge who has only heard Riley’s side of the story has issued an illegal injunction on the Shulers and their blog, which violates the First Amendment and court precedents on prior restraint.
Following a staged traffic stop, a deputy attempted to serve Shuler with papers; Shuler filed a motion to quash the injunction and contempt orders last week. Despite no hearing or other process, Shuler was arrested. In this update, Carol Shuler relates the arrest, injuries to her husband, and an urgent need for financial and legal support. Please help in any way that you can!
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.