… although it’s not just Alabama.
Where have Holder and Obama been throughout the Rove/GOP
reign of terror in the Cotton State?
October 26, 2013
Andrew Kreig: Alabama Journalist
Roger Shuler Beaten and Arrested
By Joan Brunwasser
Roger’s arrest stems from his reporting and commentary about political, government, legal, sexual, and financial intrigues normally kept out of the media that the public sees. He has made the courageous and public-spirited decision that the public deserves to know in keeping with our constitutional and other mantras about the right of free expression, and the need for it in a democracy.
My guest today is Justice Integrity Project’s Andrew Kreig. Welcome back to OpEdNews, Andrew.
JB: I just saw a headline that Alabama-based investigative journalist Legal Schnauzer, Roger Shuler was arrested. What can you tell us about this upsetting turn of events?
AK: Joan, thanks so much for having me back. This is a breaking news story that is both dramatic and important to every reader concerned about justice and the First Amendment.
Roger Shuler, the prominent progressive blogger whose columns frequently appear in OEN, was arrested and beaten by Shelby County sheriff’s deputies at his Alabama garage upon returning home about 6 p.m. Oct. 23 from the local library. Roger faces a resisting arrest charge stemming from his refusal to obey a judge’s order to stop writing about an affair he alleges involved Robert Riley Jr., a well-connected attorney who is part of Alabama’s most prominent political family.
Later, authorities were holding Shuler indefinitely on two contempt of court charges issued by a judge in what seems like a “kangaroo court.” There’s no bond available. Also, Roger must post a $1,000 bond on his charge of resisting arrest for a struggle that occurred in his garage, which is attached to his home in Birmingham.
But there are much larger free press issues at stake than simply his freedom, or that of his wife, Carol.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.