Think tank fires Syria analyst Kerry cited to support claims about moderate rebels
By Jonathan S. Landay | McClatchy Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON — A Syria researcher whose work was cited last week by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain in arguing for U.S. military strikes on that country has been fired for lying that she had a doctoral degree, the policy institute for which she worked announced Wednesday.
“The Institute for the Study of War has learned and confirmed that, contrary to her representations, Ms. Elizabeth O’Bagy does not in fact have a Ph.D. degree from Georgetown University,” the group said in an online statement. “ISW has accordingly terminated Ms. O’Bagy’s employment, effective immediately.”
O’Bagy’s termination followed a controversy that erupted last week when it emerged that in addition to being an institute analyst, she worked for the Syrian Emergency Task Force, a non-profit group that lobbies for U.S. support for Syrian rebel forces.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join Us! Save Our Parks/Save the Village, Rally and Press Conference Featuring a Performance by the World Famous STOMP
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.