Think tank fires Syria analyst Kerry cited to support claims about moderate rebels
By Jonathan S. Landay | McClatchy Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON — A Syria researcher whose work was cited last week by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain in arguing for U.S. military strikes on that country has been fired for lying that she had a doctoral degree, the policy institute for which she worked announced Wednesday.
“The Institute for the Study of War has learned and confirmed that, contrary to her representations, Ms. Elizabeth O’Bagy does not in fact have a Ph.D. degree from Georgetown University,” the group said in an online statement. “ISW has accordingly terminated Ms. O’Bagy’s employment, effective immediately.”
O’Bagy’s termination followed a controversy that erupted last week when it emerged that in addition to being an institute analyst, she worked for the Syrian Emergency Task Force, a non-profit group that lobbies for U.S. support for Syrian rebel forces.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Detroit protesters win a moratorium on water shutoff, call for probe of vast corruption
- Another view of why the CDC owns that patent on Ebola
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev’s trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Why are all those trolls out there? NYTimes’ Fahrad Manjoo blames “incivility”—not the state or corporations
- Fukushima is still poisoning the world
- best toddler booster car seat on Election fraud or “voter fraud”? Jonathan Simon wipes the floor with vote-blocker Hans von Spakovsky
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Bestblurayplayerreviews2014.com on Why is Disney sucking up to the far right?
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Working Hay Day Hacks on Big Pharma’s faking a “grass-roots” campaign to keep Jenny McCarthy off “The View”
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev's trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "The Laramie Project" is a potent propaganda fantasy about the life and death of Matthew Shepard
- Without net neutrality, we wouldn't know what's happening in Ferguson...
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.