via Chris Jonsson:
For the second week running, WNYC’s On the Media has tried to find out why the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol detained one of its journalists for six hours. But so far, authorities have ignored their call for answers.
We can’t stand by while the government abuses journalists in this way. “Pressure, that’s what you have to do,” former Rep. Lee Hamilton told On the Media. “You have to create pressure.”
Tens of thousands have already joined our call to action. But we need you to raise the heat.
Demand That Attorney General Holder Stop the Harassment of Journalists
U.S. journalists should be able to enter the country without fear of detention or intimidation.
But government authorities have been stopping journalists, whistleblowers and many other travelers on a regular basis, seizing their electronic devices and examining them without search warrants.
NPR’s On the Media just reported that one of its journalists, Sarah Abdurrahman, was detained with her family at the U.S. border in Niagara Falls for six hours without explanation.1
Government officials have detained journalist and filmmaker Laura Poitras more than 40 times at U.S. borders. They’ve interrogated her, seized her laptops and cameras for weeks at a time and denied her access to a lawyer.2
It’s gotten so bad that actor and press freedom advocate John Cusack recently called on Holder to “guarantee the … safe passage of journalists who have exercised their rights under the First Amendment.”3
We’re working with Cusack to put pressure on Holder but we need you to help us deliver a message the attorney general won’t be able to ignore.
Tell Attorney General Eric Holder to Ensure Safe Passage for Journalists.
1. Sarah Abdurrahman, “My Detainment Story or: How I learned to Stop Feeling Safe in My Own Country and Hate the Border Patrol,” On the Media, Sept. 20, 2013: http://www.onthemedia.org/story/my-detainment-story-or-how-i-learned-stop-feeling-safe-my-own-country-and-hate-border-patrol/
2. Peter Maass, “How Laura Poitras Helped Snowden Spill His Secrets,” New York Times, Aug. 13, 2013: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/magazine/laura-poitras-snowden.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
3. John Cusack, “Will Eric Holder Guarantee NSA Reporters’ First Amendment Rights?” Guardian, Sept. 18, 2013: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/18/eric-holder-guarantee-nsa-reporters-rights
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.