Nature News Blog
EU insecticide ban triggers legal action
28 Aug 2013 | 12:32 BST | Posted by Daniel Cressey
European moves to temporarily ban the use of three insecticides linked to declines in bee populations have been met with legal action from two of the world’s biggest agricultural companies.
Syngenta, headquartered in Basel, Switzerland, said yesterday that it was challenging the European Commission’s ban on the controversial ‘neonicotinoid’ pesticides. The ban, which comes into force on 1 December, will last two years and cover three neonicotinoids: clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiamethoxam.
In a statement, the company said the commission’s decision was taken “on the basis of a flawed process”. John Atkin, the company’s chief operating officer, added that the commission was wrong to link thiamethoxam to declines in bee health.
Bayer and Syngenta: Drop your lawsuits against the European Commission immediately.
Wow. Bayer has just sued the European Commission to overturn a ban on the pesticides that are killing millions of bees around the world. A huge public push won this landmark ban only months ago — and we can’t sit back and let Big Pesticide overturn it while the bees vanish.
Bayer and Syngenta, two of the world’s largest chemical corporations, claim that the ban is “unjustified” and “disproportionate.” But clear scientific evidence shows their products are behind the massive bee die-off that puts our entire food chain in peril.
Just last month, 37 million bees were discovered dead on a single Canadian farm. And unless we act now, the bees will keep dying. We have to show Bayer now that we won’t tolerate it putting its profits ahead of our planet’s health. If this giant corporation manages to bully Europe into submission, it would spell disaster for the bees.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.