August 10, 2013
The PEN: Save the Bees Before We All Starve
By Joan Brunwasser
When bees suddenly starting dying in such alarming numbers at first it was a mystery.But as this has been studied, a strong correlation has been demonstrated with the use of a new generation of pesticides called neonicotinoids, which started in 2003.Recognizing this,the EU put in place a two year moratorium on the use of these new poisons because of this growing evidence. What makes these new chemical poisons so insidious is
JB: My guest today is The Pen, activist and policy advocate. Welcome back to OpEdNews, Pen. When we spoke last, back in January, 2012, we discussed The Last War Crime, the film you made about Dick Cheney. Right now, you’re headed in another but equally important direction. Can you tell our readers what you’re up to?
Pen: Thank you, Joan, and thank you for your own valiant work in covering all these vital issues. Fifty years ago, Silent Spring was published, which sounded the alarm about the reckless use of DDT in the environment. Today, we face an even bigger threat. In about 2005, honeybee colonies starting dying off dramatically. There had always been a 5-10% loss over each winter. But suddenly numbers starting jumping to 30% or more. And last year alone it was a 45% loss, the worst yet. In just one more year like this, we will no longer have enough honeybees to pollinate all our fruit crops, our nuts and many of our most familiar vegetables, tomatoes, zucchini, etc.
JB: I’ve been fascinated with bees ever since reading a Magic School Bus In a Beehive book to my kids. I don’t think that people have any idea of the gravity of the issue. What does it all mean, Pen? And why is it happening? Tell us everything we need to know.
Pen: When bees suddenly starting dying in such alarming numbers at first it was a mystery. But as this has been studied, a strong correlation has been demonstrated with the use of a new generation of pesticides called neonicotinoids, which started in 2003. Recognizing this, the European Union earlier this year put in place a two year moratorium on the use of these new poisons because of this growing evidence. What makes these new chemical poisons so insidious is they are systemic in the plants. They are literally in the nectar on which the bees feed, which the bees then concentrate.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.