Surveillance of Student Group Raises Spectre of Police Overreach
There are now 53 primary fusion centers and 25 recognized fusion centers across the U.S.
By Martin Michaels | August 24, 2013
U.S. intelligence agencies have been monitoring the movements of citizens long before Glenn Greenwald broke the story about National Security Administration (NSA) spy programs earlier this summer, setting off a media hoopla.
After unveiling documents showing that the NSA has been monitoring and collecting telephone call data known as “metadata” for millions Americans, many began to question the legitimacy of this type of surveillance under the guise of anti-terrorism efforts.
It turns out, it’s only part of the story. Since the attacks of Sept. 11, federal and state surveillance of nonviolent student groups, protest movements and mosques has increased markedly with the proliferation of “fusion centers,” where state and federal authorities can aggregate resources in a common area.
According to the Department of Homeland Security website, there are now 53 primary fusion centers and 25 recognized fusion centers across the U.S.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.