Government Agents Went to the Guardian Offices and Oversaw Smashing of Hard Drives to Erase Snowden Files
The Guardian newspaper’s editor says that the British government has tried to intimidate the media outlet into halting their reporting on the National Security Agency.
The Guardian’s editor, Alan Rusbridger.
August 20, 2013
Two officers from a British intelligence agency oversaw the destruction of hard drives at The Guardian newspaper’s office last month in an effort to stop the paper from reporting on the documents that Edward Snowden gave them. The account was reported yesterday by The Guardian’s editor, Alan Rusbridger.
Rusbridger describedvarious attempts at intimidation that the British government made before he agreed to finally destroy the hard drives. In an interview with the BBC, Rusbridger explained that “given that there were other copies and we could work out of America, which has better laws to protect journalists, I saw no reason not to destroy this material ourselves rather than hand it back to the government.” Rusbridger said that the alternative to destroying the hard drives–a move forced by the government–was a court case with little prospect of winning.
“It seemed to me fruitless to go through that exercise of fighting that case, which would have meant that we could not write about the Snowden material when there were other copies. So it’s simply a matter of transferring our reporting to America,” the Guardian editor said to BBC.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.