Uruguay to Become First Nation to Fully Legalize Marijuana: Blow to Ruinous US War on Drugs
MARK KARLIN, EDITOR OF BUZZFLASH AT TRUTHOUT
uruguay8 2It’s about 5200 air miles in distance between Washington DC and Montevideo, Uruguay, but the separation in terms of drug policies is about to become a whole lot wider.
Given the passage of a sweeping new law legalizing marijuana in the entire nation of Uruguay by their Congress on August 2 (with the apparent inevitable passage by the Uruguayan Senate this fall), the South American nation is likely to become the first nation to set the dominoes of a ruinous US drug war policy tumbling down.
As the Canadian Broadcasting Company (CBC) website notes of this historic development:
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.