From Suki Stetson Hawley:
I want to urge everyone to go see “Zipper” at IFC today thru Thursday! It’s a beautiful film – on film! – about the fate of a wild Coney Island ride in these days of insanity…
‘Zipper’ — 5 stars
(1:20). NR. IFC.
The forces that align against poor, mistreated Coney Island try to appear forward-thinking in this flavorful, spunky but ultimately sad documentary. They say they’re fighting for Coney, but the movie’s point of view — shared by many who mourn the disrespect for much of New York’s character — is that the personality of this iconic, special place is being sacrificed for profit. Thor Equities, Mayor Bloomberg, the City Council (and its speaker, Christine Quinn), aides, officials and architects all come off sounding hollow as they talk of their dreams for the boardwalk area.
But what they’re missing, director Amy Nicholson posits, is that Coney’s spirit has always been untamable. It doesn’t need a Gap, Duane Reade and Williams-Sonoma (as one clueless pencil-pusher says). What it needs is protection, which never arrives. And so the famous Zipper ride — as well as Astroland, the batting cages, countless family traditions, genuine soul and onetime zoning laws — are bulldozed over for a pipe dream of being a tourist magnet. “Zipper” captures the erasing of one of New York’s most unique stamps by cartoon businesspeople with dollar signs for eyeballs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.