Plan to drill for gas in Dallas goes down to defeat
By RUDOLPH BUSH
Published: 28 August 2013 10:27 PM
Updated: 28 August 2013 10:32 PM
An energy company’s request for three gas drilling permits failed to win the approval of the Dallas City Council on Wednesday. The defeat could be the death knell for natural gas drilling in a city known around the world for its ties to the petroleum industry.
The permits, sought by Trinity East Energy, got just nine of the needed 12 votes. That “supermajority” of the 15-member council was required because the City Plan Commission earlier voted against approval of the permits.
The vote effectively means that in return for paying the city $19 million in 2008, Trinity East got little more than an up-or-down vote on its plan to seek natural gas on city-owned land.
The city got a quick infusion of cash at a time when the recession was playing havoc with the budget. It also got a nasty controversy over how the deal with Trinity East was structured and five years of bitter debate about the safety of urban gas drilling.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.