Justice for Trayvon Martin: No More Stand Your Ground
Target: State Legislatures
Sponsored by: Care2.com
A 17-year-old boy is dead, shot by a neighborhood vigilante who decided that he would take the law into his own hands. Now, Trayvon Martin’s killer will walk free — because a jury of his peers determined that it was legal for him to murder an innocent teenager in the name of “self-defense.”
George Zimmerman faced no charges for more than a month after the shooting thanks to Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law, which states that murder is justified in the name of protecting oneself at any cost, even if conflict is avoidable. And though his trial eventually hinged on self-defense rather than “Stand Your Ground,” so long as laws like these are on the books, vigilante violence will continue, often with no consequences.
How many innocent people like Trayvon have to die in the name of paranoia before we learn that these laws only lead to bloodshed?
25 states have already adopted such laws despite their demonstrated danger. Tell all states to repeal or reject “Stand Your Ground” laws before more people are murdered for presenting imaginary threats.
Justice Department: Open a Civil Rights Case Against George Zimmerman
By Benjamin Todd Jealous (Contact)
To be delivered to: Department of Justice, Attorney General Eric Holder
Attorney General Eric Holder,
The Department of Justice has closely monitored the State of Florida’s prosecution of the case against George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin murder since it began. Today, with the acquittal of George Zimmerman, it is time for the Department of Justice to act.
The most fundamental of civil rights — the right to life — was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin. We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation.
Please address the travesties of the tragic death of Trayvon Martin by acting today.
A jury has acquitted George Zimmerman, but we are not done demanding justice for Trayvon Martin.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.