How Spitzer’s Fall Showed He Deserves a Second Chance
By Jim Sleeper
New York Governor Eliot Spitzer’s fall from office and public grace in 2008 was a tragedy in the strictest classical sense: The substance of his offenses paled before the shock of his stupidity and hypocrisy in committing them. You had to worry even more about his mentality than about his morality.
What made the fall so stunning was not his infidelity and how he committed it but the sheer folly of one as tough and experienced as he’d proven himself to be in pursuit of others’ far-more-consequential wrongdoings.
That very toughness and experience made his tragedy a public one, because New Yorkers and all Americans at that time needed a real fighter — one as good as Spitzer was on offense as well as defense — against the casino-finance, corporate-welfare regime that would soon throw millions of people out of their homes and jobs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.