How Spitzer’s Fall Showed He Deserves a Second Chance
By Jim Sleeper
New York Governor Eliot Spitzer’s fall from office and public grace in 2008 was a tragedy in the strictest classical sense: The substance of his offenses paled before the shock of his stupidity and hypocrisy in committing them. You had to worry even more about his mentality than about his morality.
What made the fall so stunning was not his infidelity and how he committed it but the sheer folly of one as tough and experienced as he’d proven himself to be in pursuit of others’ far-more-consequential wrongdoings.
That very toughness and experience made his tragedy a public one, because New Yorkers and all Americans at that time needed a real fighter — one as good as Spitzer was on offense as well as defense — against the casino-finance, corporate-welfare regime that would soon throw millions of people out of their homes and jobs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.