Student Election Hack – Is it a Bad Omen for Internet Voting?
Does the Cal State San Marcos class president election hack mean that Americans should fear Internet voting? Not if you think critically about it.
Matthew Weaver, 22, pleaded guilty* to wire fraud, access device fraud, and unauthorized access to a computer. He was sentenced to a year in prison. His crime was to plug keylogging devises into 19 school computers. The devises record computer user’s keystrokes without the user’s knowledge. Thus he stole the email passwords of more than 740 students. He used this information to vote for himself 630 times during the online student elections in March 2012.
Votes had to be cast from campus computers. Network administrators noticed all the voting activity from one computer. They quickly notified school police, who nabbed Weaver in the act.
One Comment to “Student hacker steals election as class president”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.