Taking Jesus AND the Ballot Box from the Voter-Suppressing Rightwing Radicals in North Carolina
Massive weekly protests reclaiming the moral high ground and confounding the ‘Tea Party’ in the once-moderate Tar Heel State…
By Brad Friedman on 7/23/2013, 1:39pm PT
I’ve always wondered why non-Rightwing Christians have allowed Rightwingers to take “God” and “Jesus” as their own, particularly since progressive principles are far more in line with those said to be the teachings of Jesus.
The folks in North Carolina — who are now under siege by Republican control of both congressional houses and the governorship for the first time in 150 years — have been going about reclaiming the moral high ground with a series of massive (and growing larger) “Moral Monday” protests at the state house, so far resulting in about 900 arrests for civil disobedience as of this week’s twelfth consecutive Monday protest.
The protests are being held by a wide coalition of groups in response to the radical Republican legislation — much of it written out of state by the Koch-funded corporatist lobby, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) — meant to see the state government shut down women’s health clinics, cut education funding and, of particular note, suppress voters by truncating early voting, ending Sunday voting, banning NC’s successful Election Day registration program, instituting tax penalties to parents whose children vote at their college residences, and by putting in place draconian polling place Photo ID restrictions. (See Ari Berman today at The Nation for more on the NC Republican’s attempt to institute all of these “extreme voter suppression measures”.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.