From Steve Horn:
My latest investigative piece is now up on DeSmogBlog. The enterprise being implemented at UT-Knoxville, though, takes the concept of “frackademia” to a whole new level.
In a nutshell: Republican Gov. Bill Haslam has set up a self-enriching scheme at UT-Knoxville, where he also serves on the Board of Trustees (his dad Jim formerly served on it) and his family gives tens of millions of dollars in endowments. 8,600 acres of UT’s land will soon be fracked for “research purposes” to learn “best practices” for fracking.
My article digs into the Haslam family’s major financial stake in fracking moving forward, which is an immense one. The family owns both Marathon Petroleum and Pilot Flying J fueling stations, which are the biggest implementors of T. Boone Picken’s “America’s Natural Gas Highway” for 18-wheelers.
UT-Knoxville, it seems, is being transformed into the family’s land leasing agency, all in the name of “research” and “fundraising,” as Haslam continues to offer budget cuts to the UT System.
Any help passing along this piece over social media and other venues would be greatly appreciated. Cross-posts always welcome, but please put an original URL link back to DeSmogBlog. Excerpt below.
Haslam Family: Leveraging UT-Knoxville Ties for Fracking Profits
Gov. Haslam, the former Mayor of Knoxville, took $398,110 from the oil and gas industry before his Nov. 2010 gubernatorial race victory.
The Haslam family is an oil and gas family through and through, standing to profit immensely from a fracking boom in Tennessee and nationwide.
In 2012, the Haslam family – owners of Pilot Flying J truck fueling stations, a corporation where Bill Haslem used to serve as president – purchased Western Petroleum and Maxum Petroleum. Both Western and Maxum are major suppliers of fuel and lubricants for fracking operations. Pilot Flying J is the nation’s No. 1 retailer of diesel fuel and is the 6th most profitable corporation in the U.S., earning over $29 billion in 2012.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.