Turkish Leader Says Razing of Istanbul Park Will Proceed
By TIM ARANGO and SEBNEM ARSU
Published: June 6, 2013
ISTANBUL — Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan returned to his country early Friday morning and was met at the airport by tens of thousands of supporters who offered a boisterous counterpoint to the demonstrations that for nearly a week have occupied Taksim Square in central Istanbul and presented Mr. Erdogan with the gravest political crisis of his decade in power.
Flanked by his wife, Mr. Erdogan made his way through the crowd, boarded a bus and grabbed a microphone to deliver an emphatic speech in which he gave no ground to his opponents, calling them vandals and saying the demonstrations must end. He also sought to position himself as a leader of all Turks.
“Tonight is not only you,” he said. “I am addressing everyone in every city of Turkey.”
Invoking his faith and those of his followers, he said, “Nobody can stop Turkey’s rise but Allah.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.