Apartheid at NYU? Prof. Michael Rectenwald Is Afraid So
By Joan Brunwasser
My guest today is Michael Rectenwald, who is on the faculty of New York University in the Global Studies Program as well as being the founder and chair of CLG [Citizens for Legitimate Government]. Welcome to OpEdNews, Michael. This week, you wrote a disturbing piece called ” Apartheid at NYU “. What did you mean by that title?
MR: Well, I know that the word “apartheid” is extremely dense with signification, and I debated using it, given its usual allusions to South Africa and other regions of enforced ghettoization and oppression. But the word’s denotation is merely “separation.” I mean by the word the denotation of “separation,” but also with some of the allusion to places where segregation has taken place and been normalized.
NYU, I believe, after having spent five years here, is such a place — where a vast chasm exists within the community itself, a chasm pertaining to rights, privileges, wealth, representation and information. (The fact that we have to find out about the lavish salaries and lifestyles of our own rich and infamous in the New York Times makes clear that there is a poverty on our side of the chasm that includes a lack of information, as well as all of these other elements.)
There is a real gap between the powerful and wealthy and the rest of the community, the kind of gap one would not expect in such an educational institution. Behind the veil of secrecy, the top administration has, with the Board of Trustees’ approval, handed themselves and a few favored faculty luxury homes and vacation homes, extravagant salaries and bonuses, indulging in every kind of self-satisfaction materially and culturally, while the vast majority of the laboring professoriate live hand-to-mouth, and while students struggle to make tuition and leave university with significant debt.
One Comment to “John Sexton’s NYU is at the cutting edge of university corruption”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.