Below is an email from Martha Rowen, a MoveOn member in Brooklyn. Martha started a petition on the MoveOn website, where anyone can start their own online petition.
Dear Manhattan MoveOn member,
The Spectra pipeline is a high-pressure gas pipeline currently under construction in Manhattan’s West Village that is slated to start bringing fracked gas into New York starting this November.
This pipeline poses a grave and immediate risk to New York residents. In 2010, a pipeline of similar diameter and pressure exploded in suburban San Bruno, California, destroying an entire neighborhood and killing eight people. An explosion of that magnitude in such a densely populated area as Manhattan would cause incalculable loss of life and property, devastating the city.
Also, the gas that will be transmitted through the Spectra pipeline from the Marcellus Shale contains a high level of radon, which could leak into homes and apartments, causing an additional threat to public health.
Construction of this pipeline puts corporate profits ahead of the health and safety of New York residents.
Moreover, building this pipeline would make New York City even more dependent upon fossil fuels that poison our water, pollute our air, and threaten to exacerbate catastrophic climate change. This increased dependency would discourage New York from making the urgently needed shift to sustainable alternatives like wind, solar, and biodiesel energy.
That’s why I started a petition to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the New York City Council, the New York Legislature, Governor Andrew Cuomo, and Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, which says:
Stop the construction in New York City of the dangerous and environmentally destructive Spectra pipeline.
This petition was created on MoveOn’s online petition site, where anyone can start their own online petitions. Martha Rowen didn’t pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.