Consumer advocate, lawyer and author
The Plight of the Postal Service
Posted: 05/03/2013 11:36 am
The United States Postal Service is in a freefall due to poor management, a starkly shortsighted, paralyzed Congressional leadership, and the steady march of right wing ideologues. Corporate competitors who advance corporatization have severely eroded the historic institution created by Benjamin Franklin; one that currently delivers over 150 billion pieces of mail a year and walks and drives all neighborhoods.
According to Postmaster General Patrick Donohoe, who spoke at the National Press Club inWashington D.C. two weeks ago, a massive, billion dollar bailout might be in the Postal Service’s future, unless drastic measures are taken. In his words: “Congress faces a simple choice: It can decide to start appropriating a lot of money to prop up a broken Postal Service or it can give the organization the flexibility to operate more effectively.”
Many practical, ignored reforms are necessary for our nation’s troubled postal system, but what is the “flexibility of operation” that Mr. Donohoe is referring to?
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.