May 01, 2013
Breaking Tradition, Obama Taps Non-Lawyer to Head FCC
Posted by Jenna Greene on May 01, 2013
There’s something a bit different about Tom Wheeler, nominated today by President Barack Obama to head the Federal Communications Commission.
It’s not his work as a lobbyist or venture capitalist – rather, it’s that unlike practically every other chairman in the agency’s 79-year history, Wheeler is not a lawyer.
To be sure, Wheeler by all accounts knows the industry well, heading two major trade groups for years. As Obama put it today in remarks at the White House, “Tom is the only member of both the cable television and the wireless industry hall of fame. So he’s like the Jim Brown of telecom… Tom knows this stuff inside and out.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.