A charmed city, slated for ruin
By Matthew Taub
For Brooklyn Daily Eagle
“Any City gets what it admires, will pay for, and ultimately, deserves… we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.”
The New York Times Editorial Board uttered those fateful words in 1963 upon the demolition of a grand, renowned Pennsylvania Station. The soulless underground network of dreary tubes and uninspiring mall-like plazas that took its place was met with near-universal derision, continuing to the present day.
Sadly, despite the preservationist movement burgeoning from that travesty, history seems fated to repeat itself, or even double down on prior poor decisions. In the coming months, The City of New York faces critical junctures on an astounding number of significant real estate projects. And it is in these crucial moments that not enough balance is being given to considerations other than fulfilling pre-ordained desires or the lustful pursuit of profit.
Most pressing is The New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue, scheduled for a “carry coals to Newcastle” renovation, with $350 million assigned to unnecessarily gut book stacks, making it harder to actually check out titles (they’ll soon be delivered from off-site locations), while the operating budget is slashed and services are cut back.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.