Judge: NYPD Doesn’t Have To Release Spying Records
A state judge has denied a lawsuit seeking to compel the NYPD under the Freedom of Information Law to turn over data relating to its counterterrorism surveillance since September 11, 2001. Justice Alexander Hunter Jr.wrote that “raw, unevaluated field reports, derivative reports, and intermediate reports contain not only highly detailed information, but also contain source revealing information that could potentially jeopardize the effectiveness of the NYPD’s undercover programs.”
The 11-page FOIL request [PDF] was filed by NYU’s Brennan Center for Justice, Muslim Advocates, and theAsian American Legal Defense and Education Fund last September, and called for the NYPD to release a variety of records pertaining to the department’s surveillance activities that were uncovered in a series of AP reports.
The groups requested documents and notes regarding surveillance; maps, and statistics detailing the use of undercover officers and paid informants; and agreements the NYPD may have made with the CIA, among other records.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD’s “black site” is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- New York’s highest court agrees to hear the case against NYU’s lunatic expansion plan
- USA is going all Tonkin Gulf on Russia
- “Christian” school in Texas honors Torturer-in-Chief
- New findings show that charter schools do NOT “perform” as advertised
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- MSNBC will purge its (so-called) "left-wing" hosts
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD's "black site" is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.