Judge: NYPD Doesn’t Have To Release Spying Records
A state judge has denied a lawsuit seeking to compel the NYPD under the Freedom of Information Law to turn over data relating to its counterterrorism surveillance since September 11, 2001. Justice Alexander Hunter Jr.wrote that “raw, unevaluated field reports, derivative reports, and intermediate reports contain not only highly detailed information, but also contain source revealing information that could potentially jeopardize the effectiveness of the NYPD’s undercover programs.”
The 11-page FOIL request [PDF] was filed by NYU’s Brennan Center for Justice, Muslim Advocates, and theAsian American Legal Defense and Education Fund last September, and called for the NYPD to release a variety of records pertaining to the department’s surveillance activities that were uncovered in a series of AP reports.
The groups requested documents and notes regarding surveillance; maps, and statistics detailing the use of undercover officers and paid informants; and agreements the NYPD may have made with the CIA, among other records.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU gave John Sexton’s son a duplex in the Village, despite a “severe housing shortage” for the faculty
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- NYU gave John Sexton's son a duplex in the Village, despite a "severe housing shortage" for the faculty
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.