Are all telephone calls recorded and accessible to the US government?
A former FBI counterterrorism agent claims on CNN that this is the case
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 4 May 2013 08.22 EDT
The real capabilities and behavior of the US surveillance state are almost entirely unknown to the American public because, like most things of significance done by the US government, it operates behind an impenetrable wall of secrecy. But a seemingly spontaneous admission this week by a former FBI counterterrorism agent provides a rather startling acknowledgment of just how vast and invasive these surveillance activities are.
Over the past couple days, cable news tabloid shows such as CNN’s Out Front with Erin Burnett have been excitingly focused on the possible involvement in the Boston Marathon attack of Katherine Russell, the 24-year-old American widow of the deceased suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. As part of their relentless stream of leaks uncritically disseminated by our Adversarial Press Corps, anonymous government officials are claiming that they are now focused on telephone calls between Russell and Tsarnaev that took place both before and after the attack to determine if she had prior knowledge of the plot or participated in any way.
One Comment to “Every phone call in the US is recorded, and the government can listen to them all, FBI agent says on CNN”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- With computerized elections, we’re all “voting” for the Iron Heel
- Wal-Mart cuts health benefits for 30,000 workers as its profits rise
- Tokyo “not fit for habitation,” doctor says, charging cover-up by WHO, IAEA, Japanese government
- Judge Richard Posner, Reagan appointee, now sees the light on voter ID laws
- Reagan-Appointed Federal Judge Who Approved First Photo ID Law in 2008 Writes Devastating Dissent AGAINST Photo ID Voting Restrictions
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- WiFi sickens teacher, students in Los Angeles (school permits no incident reports)
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense