Big Brother Is You, Watching
May 17, 2013
Google Glass is coming, and it’s raising some new privacy concerns.
I stole the title of this post from an essay Mark Crispin Miller wrote 25 years ago about the effects of television, in which he argued that instead of a totalitarian government forcing us to submit through fear and oppression, we’d happily voluteer to be anesthetized by our TVs. Today though, the more proximate danger involves the rise of a kind of universal surveillance where we’re being watched through much of our days, by governmental authorities, corporations looking to part us from our money, and each other. It’s bad now, and it’s only going to get worse.
Which brings us to Google Glass, the augmented reality glasses rig that is getting closer to becoming a consumer product. People are starting to become concerned about the privacy implications of Google Glass, namely that you could be talking to someone who, unbeknownst to you, is recording everything you say. Or maybe you aren’t even talking to them; maybe they’re just walking behind you in the street, or sitting next to you in a restaurant. Maybe they’ll have their Glass use facial recognition software to identify you, and then post to Twitter that you’re in this restaurant, and you’re looking a little tipsy. Members of the Bi-Partisan Privacy Caucus (yes, I didn’t know there was such a thing either) in the House just sent a letter to Larry Page, Google’s CEO, expressing their concerns.
One Comment to ““Big Brother Is You, Watching”—now more than ever”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.