Why Is Don Siegelman Still in Jail?
Bennett L. Gershman
Professor of Law, Pace
Posted: 04/17/2013 3:16 pm
Actually, the first question is why Don Siegelman was prosecuted and jailed at all. The second question is why President Obama has not yet pardoned him or commuted his sentence. Of all the abusive, vindictive, and politically-driven prosecutions by the U.S. Department of Justice, the prosecution of Don Siegleman stands at the top. Over a hundred Attorneys General from both political parties have condemned the legality of his prosecution. The House Judiciary Committee has documented the partisan cabal between the Bush White House and the Justice Department to take down Siegelman and destroy his career. Commentary by journalists, academics, and disinterested observers has uniformly decried the legal and ethical irregularities that contaminated his prosecution and blackened the reputation of the Justice Department. Despite all this, President Obama, apparently on advice from his “Pardon Attorneys,” has refused to grant Siegelman a pardon or commute his seven-year sentence. Why?
Don Siegelman at one time was the most powerful and popular Democrat in the blood-red state of Alabama. A former Rhodes Scholar, Siegelman was Governor from 1998-2002, and previously held many important state positions, including attorney general. He lost reelection in 2002 to Republican Bob Riley after a few thousand votes from a small rural county mysteriously were discovered in a polling place vacated by Democratic poll-watchers after polls closed. Siegelman, voter surveys showed, was expected to win a rematch against any Republican opponent. But that was before federal prosecutors began their hunt.
In 2004, Siegelman was indicted by the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama, Alice Martin, for bid-rigging on state contracts. The indictment was dismissed almost immediately by Federal District Judge U.W. Clemon, one of the most senior federal judges in Alabama, for lack of evidence. Judge Clemon stated that the Siegelman prosecution “was completely without legal merit” and, indeed, “was the most unfounded criminal case over which I presided in my entire judicial career.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- 53 million US workers—1 out of every 3—is a “freelancer”
- More questions about those “beheadings”
- The nightmare of Bush/Cheney is Obama’s normal
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Michigan's "thriving" charter schools are worse than public schools, with no accountability (Detroit Free Press)
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.