Why Is Don Siegelman Still in Jail?
Bennett L. Gershman
Professor of Law, Pace
Posted: 04/17/2013 3:16 pm
Actually, the first question is why Don Siegelman was prosecuted and jailed at all. The second question is why President Obama has not yet pardoned him or commuted his sentence. Of all the abusive, vindictive, and politically-driven prosecutions by the U.S. Department of Justice, the prosecution of Don Siegleman stands at the top. Over a hundred Attorneys General from both political parties have condemned the legality of his prosecution. The House Judiciary Committee has documented the partisan cabal between the Bush White House and the Justice Department to take down Siegelman and destroy his career. Commentary by journalists, academics, and disinterested observers has uniformly decried the legal and ethical irregularities that contaminated his prosecution and blackened the reputation of the Justice Department. Despite all this, President Obama, apparently on advice from his “Pardon Attorneys,” has refused to grant Siegelman a pardon or commute his seven-year sentence. Why?
Don Siegelman at one time was the most powerful and popular Democrat in the blood-red state of Alabama. A former Rhodes Scholar, Siegelman was Governor from 1998-2002, and previously held many important state positions, including attorney general. He lost reelection in 2002 to Republican Bob Riley after a few thousand votes from a small rural county mysteriously were discovered in a polling place vacated by Democratic poll-watchers after polls closed. Siegelman, voter surveys showed, was expected to win a rematch against any Republican opponent. But that was before federal prosecutors began their hunt.
In 2004, Siegelman was indicted by the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama, Alice Martin, for bid-rigging on state contracts. The indictment was dismissed almost immediately by Federal District Judge U.W. Clemon, one of the most senior federal judges in Alabama, for lack of evidence. Judge Clemon stated that the Siegelman prosecution “was completely without legal merit” and, indeed, “was the most unfounded criminal case over which I presided in my entire judicial career.”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Those robo-cops in Ferguson—and not just there—are out to kill the poor (MUST-READ by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)
- Detroit protesters win a moratorium on water shutoff, call for probe of vast corruption
- Another view of why the CDC owns that patent on Ebola
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev’s trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Why are all those trolls out there? NYTimes’ Fahrad Manjoo blames “incivility”—not the state or corporations
- best toddler booster car seat on Election fraud or “voter fraud”? Jonathan Simon wipes the floor with vote-blocker Hans von Spakovsky
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Bestblurayplayerreviews2014.com on Why is Disney sucking up to the far right?
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Working Hay Day Hacks on Big Pharma’s faking a “grass-roots” campaign to keep Jenny McCarthy off “The View”
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Russians offer evidence of Kiev's trigger hand in MH17 downing
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "The Laramie Project" is a potent propaganda fantasy about the life and death of Matthew Shepard
- Without net neutrality, we wouldn't know what's happening in Ferguson...
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.