Swedes could cast ballots online by 2018
Published: 15 Apr 13 14:54 CET | Print version
Neighbouring Norway and Finland have already done digital voting test runs. Now some Swedish municipalities could follow the trend after a majority of members in the parliamentary election law committee voted in favour of a new proposal.
“If it works well, it would be a natural step to introduce it in the 2022 elections,” Billy Gustafsson, Social Democrat committee member, told the Riksdag & Departement (R&D) newspaper.
Voting online could help Swedes abroad vote and may encourage some voters with disabilities to cast their ballot when it is possible to do so in front of the computer, in lieu of grappling with the polling station. R&D reported that lawmakers hoped it could increase voter numbers overall and that it may entice younger Swedes to have their say when voting was moved online.
STUPIDITY ON STEROIDS
by Richard Tamm, April 26, 2013
On April 23rd, the AP Twitter account got hacked very publicly, and a false tweet went out saying there had been two explosions in the White House and that President Obama had been injured, causing widespread and immediate consternation. The stock market dropped sharply, temporarily wiping out about $150 billion in stock value. Once again we had glaring proof of the dangers and insecurity of the internet.
This very same afternoon, four of our California Assembly Elections Committee Democrats: Rob Bonta, Raul Bocanegra, Isadore Hall III, and Henry T. Perea, worked with another Assembly Democrat from San Francisco, Phil Ting, attempting to bravely deny these facts and reality. They scrambled to throw together enough last-minute amendments to AB 19 to attempt to get us to believe that they could make a fool-proof Internet Voting system for California.
April 23rd was also the birthday of William Shakespeare. In some of his greatest tragedies, the weather cooperated to add emphasis to a tragic turn. This AP Twitter hack was just such a lightning strike in the background storm to add emphasis to the tragedy of these four bumbling Democratic Assembly Members running to the aid of Assemblyman Phil Ting to bring an Internet Voting bomb into the still somewhat safe house of California.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.