Judge overrules Obama to protect women’s health
Crucial victory had to come from GOP-appointed judge — not cowardly Obama or Sebelius
By Irin Carmon
Today, a federal judge appointed by Ronald Reagan did for women’s health what the Obama administration was too politically cowardly to do: Make safe, time-sensitive emergency contraception available to everyone, regardless of age. The shameful thing is that it had to come to this.
The administration, said 2nd Circuit District Judge Edward Korman, acted in “bad faith” — a phrase that arises again and again in the stinging decision. And Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius acted in a fashion that “was politically motivated, scientifically unjustified, and contrary to agency precedent.”
Some context: Women under 17 have been required to obtain a prescription to get emergency contraception (the effectiveness of which diminishes with time), a jump through hoops that may prevent them from taking it at all — despite the fact that there is no medical reason to deny them the same access as older women. In other words, it’s about a short-sighted panic about teenage sex. These politicized rules began under George W. Bush’s FDA, which is when the Center for Reproductive Rights initially filed suit, but Barack Obama promised science would prevail in his administration. In December 2011, however, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius overruled the recommendations of the FDA for trumped-up reasons that Korman ridicules, line by line. The only reason that made sense: Fear that, in the impending election, hay would be made out of what the right falsely calls “the morning after pill” being given freely to young teens behind their parents’ backs.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Early America
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.