Inside Story Americas
Honduras: A culture of impunity
Is the US state department misleading Congress about possible US funding for Honduran death squads?
Inside Story Americas Last Modified: 28 Mar 2013 12:35
A new investigation has further highlighted the culture of impunity that exists within the Honduran police force.
The Associated Press heard testimony that strongly suggests that people are being disappeared by roving groups of armed officers.
“Clearly, the state department is well aware of Honduran law [regarding Bonilla’s control over all police units].”
– Annie Bird, the co-founder Rights Action
There are claims that the US Congress may be funding these units.
Last August, Congress held back $30m in Honduran aid precisely because of concerns over the human rights record of the country’s top police officer, Juan Carlos Bonilla.
No Aid to Honduran Death Squads
The State Department has told Congress that millions of U.S. tax dollars given to the Honduran National Police only go to units that don’t operate under the direct supervision of Director General Juan Carlos Bonilla, who has been accused of responsibility for extrajudicial killings for which he has never been investigated. But the Associated Press has found that all Honduran National Police units are under Bonilla’s control. Aid to police units under Bonilla’s control violate U.S. law.
Urge the Obama Administration and Congress to end all U.S. aid to the Honduran National Police, as required by U.S. law, by using the form below.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.