Disunited in mourning: police fear Thatcher funeral may turn into security nightmare
Fears of civil disorder in capital as plans are revealed for partially state-funded ceremonial funeral, as MPs gather to pay tribute to Baroness Thatcher
Jerome Taylor Author Biography , Oscar Quine
Wednesday 10 April 2013
Police officers are monitoring social media, internet forums and BlackBerry messaging networks in the expectation that Margaret Thatcher’s funeral procession next Wednesday will be targeted by protesters.
The possibility of demonstrations during the funeral has raised concerns that police may adopt the controversial tactic of making pre-emptive arrests.
Plans appear to be under way for different groups to demonstrate during the funeral, and to hold celebrations around the country on the same day.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.