FDA Approved New Drug Despite Ongoing Investigation of Lab Misconduct
by Charles Seife and Rob Garver, Special to ProPublica, April 22, 2013, 9:22 a.m.
Last week, ProPublica reported that the Food and Drug Administration allowed dozens of medications to stay on the market, even though the research designed to prove their safety and effectiveness was undermined by “egregious” violations at a major pharmaceutical research laboratory in Houston. New information shows that even after the FDA had cited the lab for falsifying data and other misconduct, the agency issued a brand new approval to a drug tested there.
The FDA has refused to reveal the names of any of the approximately 100 drugs affected by the fraud at the Houston lab of the firm Cetero Research, saying that to do so would reveal confidential commercial information. ProPublica was able to identify five of those drugs, and now we’ve found a sixth. This one was approved after the agency had already cited the Houston lab for misconduct.
The drug is a generic version of Tussionex, which combines a long-acting narcotic cough suppressant with an anti-allergy medication. Manufactured by TrisPharma, the drug has a tongue-twisting chemical name: hydrocodone polistirex/chlorpheniraminepolistirex.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More on the NY Fed’s strange flight to Chicago
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What’s up?
- Commanders of Missouri National Guard saw protesters in Ferguson as “enemy forces,” “adversaries,” “hate groups”
- Abu Dhabi on the Hudson: NYU goes after student protesters for trying to hand out flyers
- Virginia dumps its e-vote system after finding it ridiculously hackable
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.