Chechen Terrorists and the Neocons
April 19, 2013
The revelation that the family of the two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings was from Chechnya prompted new speculation about the attack as Islamic terrorism. Less discussed was the history of U.S. neocons supporting Chechen terrorists as a strategy to weaken Russia, as ex-FBI agent Coleen Rowley recalls.
By Coleen Rowley
I almost choked on my coffee listening to neoconservative Rudy Giuliani pompously claim on national TV that he was surprised about any Chechens being responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings because he’s never seen any indication that Chechen extremists harbored animosity toward the U.S.; Guiliani thought they were only focused on Russia.
Giuliani knows full well how the Chechen “terrorists” proved useful to the U.S. in keeping pressure on the Russians, much as the Afghan mujahedeen were used in the anti-Soviet war in Afghanistan from 1980 to 1989. In fact, many neocons signed up as Chechnya’s “friends,” including former CIA Director James Woolsey.
For instance, see this 2004 article in the UK Guardian, entitled, “The Chechens’ American friends: The Washington neocons’ commitment to the war on terror evaporates in Chechnya, whose cause they have made their own.”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Israel using flechette shells in Gaza
- How to get medical aid into Gaza
- Russia won’t take control of Malaysian plane’s black boxes; calls for international inquiry
- CIA and NSA are A-OK with Pres. Obama!
- Bush/Cheney should get life in Gitmo for their “liberation” of Iraq (2)
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Wikileaks cables confirm that Ukraine's president has been working for the US since 2006
- Russia won't take control of Malaysian plane's black boxes; calls for international inquiry
- How to get medical aid into Gaza
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.